A JOGGER who wrongly claimed she had been subjected to a knifepoint sexual assault will not face prosecutions, the Echo can reveal.
Northumbria Police confirmed no further action will be taken against the 33-year-old woman who said she had been running along the promenade at Seaburn seafront in the evening when she heard calls for help.
She claimed she ran to help the person and was then attacked at knifepoint at about 6.45pm on Friday, February 11.
Police launched a major investigation into the claim, cordoning off the area between South Bents Road and Bransdale Avenue while they carried out finger-tip searches of the area.
Specially-trained officers were also called in to help the woman cope with the alleged ordeal while an appeal was put out in a bid to locate the attacker. However, she later withdrew her claims.
A Northumbria Police spokeswoman said: “No further action will be taken.”