Houghton man died while wiring loft

0
Have your say

AN inquest has been opened into the death of a man who is thought to have been electrocuted while wiring part of a house.

Police, paramedics and fire officers were called to an address in Thorney Burn Close, in Houghton, after concerns for the man.

The victim, Robert Mackenzie, 33, was taken to hospital, but pronounced dead on arrival.

Crew manager Lance Mather, of Sunderland South fire station at Rainton Bridge, said: “We can’t say for certain that the man was electrocuted. We arrived on the scene to assist paramedics as he had been wiring lights in the loft.”

A spokeswoman for Northumbria Police said: “At 4.40pm on Saturday, July 27, police were informed of concern for a man at an address in Thorney Burn Close in Houghton.

“Officers attended and the body of a man was found.

“There is believed to be no third party involvement.

“The Health and Safety Executive has been informed.”

Sunderland Coroner’s Office said an inquest has been opened and adjourned until 10am on November 4 at Sunderland Civic Centre.