Horrified teenager finds dead wasp in last spoonful of sundae at Sunderland McDonald’s

Teenager Fabian Redmann had a nasty surprise as he ate a strawberry sundae bought at McDonald's.
Teenager Fabian Redmann had a nasty surprise as he ate a strawberry sundae bought at McDonald's.
0
Have your say

A teenager has told of his disgust after his McDonald’s meal had a nasty sting in the tail.

Fabian Redmann, 19, had been out with friends in Sunderland before stopping off at the drive-through of the fast food outlet in Wessington Way.

Teenager Fabian Redmann had a nasty surprise as he ate a strawberry sundae bought at McDonald's.

Teenager Fabian Redmann had a nasty surprise as he ate a strawberry sundae bought at McDonald's.

When he returned home, he settled down to eat his meal, but there was an unpleasant surprise in store as he completed his strawberry sundae.

As the chicken factory worker took the final spoonful, he soon realised there was a dead wasp in his mouth. After taking it back to McDonald’s, he was handed a full refund.

But Mr Redmann, of North Bridge Street, has now vowed never to set foot in a McDonald’s again.

He said: “I put the final spoonful in my mouth, and it didn’t feel right. I bit it and thought it was a bit of strawberry, and I took it out of my mouth.

I was disgusted. Imagine how scared a little child would have been

Fabian Redmann

“At first, I thought it was a bug, so I quickly tossed it away, but then I realised it was a dead wasp.

“I was disgusted. Imagine how scared a little child would have been if they had it in their mouth.

“I went straight back to McDonald’s with the wasp in the cup, and they gave me a refund.

“They asked if I wanted any more food, but there was no way I was going to take anything else from them.

McDonald's, Wessington Way

McDonald's, Wessington Way

“I’m never going back to McDonald’s again. This has put me off for life.”

Mr Redmann has submitted a complaint to McDonald’s since the incident.

He added: “I just feel absolutely disgusted that it was in my mouth and I had bitten it. It wouldn’t have been so bad if I hadn’t had it in my mouth.

“I’ve put in a complaint to McDonald’s’ head office online, because it’s not acceptable.”

A McDonald’s spokesperson said: “We apologise for Mr Redmann’s experience when visiting our restaurant; we are looking into how this could have happened.

“Food hygiene and safety are of the highest importance to us, and the restaurant team has found no evidence of any other products being affected.

“Our customer services team is in touch with Mr Redmann to discuss this matter further.”