Sunderland holidaymaker demands answers after Mexico break leads to salmonella hell

James Wilson, centre, with friend Marc Butler on holiday pictured when they met Phil Thompson from Sky Sports.
James Wilson, centre, with friend Marc Butler on holiday pictured when they met Phil Thompson from Sky Sports.
6
Have your say

It should have been a dream holiday with the lads.

But it turned into a disaster for James Wilson after he lost a stone in weight through salmonella poisoning.

The Grand Oasis Cancun.

The Grand Oasis Cancun.

The 25-year-old was left unable to work for three weeks after he was struck down with the bug following a week’s holiday in the Mexican resort of Cancun.

Now he is demanding answers about what caused him to fall ill and has instructed a firm of solicitors to investigate.

James, from Doxford Park, Sunderland, began feeling unwell on his last day at the Grand Oasis in March last year and began to suffer palpitations when boarding his flight home.

When he got back, be developed diarrhoea, severe stomach cramps and headaches.

‘It was supposed to be a memorable break and instead I just remember the illness I’ve faced after staying there’ JAMES WILSON

James Wilson

James’ GP diagnosed salmonella and he was 
signed off work at Nissan for several weeks.

He says the illness also left him struggling to eat for five days following the holiday.

James, who went away with three pals, said: “It was somewhere we’d never been before and it looked really nice.

“It started to get really bad and I felt terrible, I thought I’d end up in hospital.”

James Wilson.

James Wilson.

James, who has spent a year working as an estate agent in Seaham and will return to the Nissan production line next week, added: “I felt a little unwell just as I was preparing to leave the resort and didn’t think much of it, but just as I was boarding the plane home I suddenly had these heart palpitations for a minute or so.

“I managed to get through the flight but once back in the UK I was really struggling with my symptoms and it took a while to get home from Manchester Airport, as I had to stop for several toilet breaks.

“It was very frustrating.

“It was just a horrible time and really makes me look back on the holiday in a completely different light.

“It was supposed to be a memorable break and instead I just remember the illness I’ve faced after staying there.

“I was left lethargic and found it difficult to eat, and the fact I lost more than stone shows the lasting effect it had on me. I still continue with an erratic bowel habit.”

“I want to know how I came to be affected and whether steps can be taken to stop others from facing it too.”

Amandeep Samra, the specialist illness lawyer at Irwin Mitchell acting for James, said: “We are very worried to have heard James’ first-hand account of the illness he suffered following his stay at the Grand Oasis in Cancun.

“James’ situation is a prime example of how holiday illness not only ruins special breaks abroad, but can also go on to have an impact on life at home – in his case forcing him to require several weeks off work as he tried to recover from his symptoms.

“We have begun investigations into the problems he has faced and are determined to ensure that, where possible, lessons can be learned so that others are not affected by similar problems in the future.”