Bereaved mum in sleep safety plea

Kayleigh with her son Astin-Rene and picture of Alfie who died from cot death
Kayleigh with her son Astin-Rene and picture of Alfie who died from cot death
3
Have your say

A MUM whose baby tragically died of cot death is giving her backing to a campaign to help tots sleep more safely.

Kayleigh Soloman’s son Alfie died at just five weeks old.

Kayleigh, 25, of Falmouth Square, Ford Estate, is showing her support NHS South of Tyne and Wear’s Give Me Room to Breathe campaign, which is calling on parents not to sleep in the same bed or on the couch with their babies.

“If I can help one family to know what to do to prevent them going through what our family has, then that is my aim,” said Kayleigh, who is married to Alfie’s dad Shaun, 27.

“I had always heard of cot death, but it isn’t something that you would think will ever happen to you.

“Once it happened to Alfie I researched it and met other people who have been through it.”

Kayleigh, also mum to six-year-old Aaron-Jaden and seven-month-old Astin-Rene, spoke of the tragic night that Alfie died.

She set up a charity called 4 Alfie after her son’s death, which provides “Sweet Dreams Memory Boxes” for families who have lost a child up to the age of 16.

“That evening I went out for a couple of hours for a friend’s birthday and when I came home I kissed Alfie and I went to bed,” she said.

“I woke up to feed him again at 2am and winded him and put him back to bed.

“He had a little look around then went off to sleep.

“He didn’t wake up again at all after that.”

Kayleigh awoke at 7am to find Alfie white and cold.

“I knew something was wrong,” she said.

“I started screaming to Shaun and picked him up and called and ambulance.

“They talked Shaun through resuscitation procedures over the phone.

“He was rushed to A&E where they tried to resuscitate him but there was nothing they could do.”

Now Kayleigh is encouraging parents not to co-sleep and to always put their baby to sleep in a cot, crib or Moses basket.

She said: “If you share a bed or sofa with your baby, you may roll over in your sleep and suffocate your baby.

“Your baby could also get caught between the wall and your bed, or your baby could roll on the floor and be injured.”

Nonnie Crawford, director of public health for NHS South of Tyne and Wear, said: “If you co-sleep in the same bed as your baby, risks to your baby’s life are increased if you or your partner are tired, have recently drunk alcohol, have taken medication or drugs that make you sleep more heavily or are smokers.”

She added: “Risks are also increased if your baby was born prematurely – before 37 weeks – or had a low birth weight of less than 5½lb.”

Twitter: @davidallison88