Guests and staff safe after chemical spill at Marriott Hotel

Fire crews, some in chemical protection suits, at an incident at the Marriott Hotel, Seaburn, this morning

Fire crews, some in chemical protection suits, at an incident at the Marriott Hotel, Seaburn, this morning

0
Have your say

FIREFIGHTERS have dealt with a chemical spill at a Sunderland hotel.

Four fire engines went to the Marriott Hotel, in Seaburn, just before 8am after a chemical had been spilled in the building’s plant room.

Officers confirmed that five-litres of sodium hypochlorite, otherwise known as bleach, had leaked in a room in the hotel.

Firefighters in protective clothing could be seen going into the hotel to deal with the situation.

Shi Yi, 31, from China, who is staying at the hotel as part of a business trip, said: “I was wondering what had happened.

“I didn’t know anything. I was having breakfast at the time when they came in.”

Group manager John Hall, of Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service, said: “We’ve had a relatively small leak at the hotel.

“The concern we had was that a quantity has spilled into the basement.

“We are happy that it is safe at the moment.

“There is no need to evacuate the hotel but of course safety is paramount.”

No-one was hurt in the incident.