Gran and baby flee house fire

0
Have your say

A WOMAN and her baby granddaughter fled a house after a grill pan caught fire.

The householder, aged in her 50s, thought she had put the oven on in the house in Tenth Street, Horden, but returned to the kitchen to find she had fired up the grill, which had then started the blaze.

She closed the door to the smoke-filled room and took the baby outside, where the alarm was raised at 6.50pm yesterday.

Firefighters from Peterlee entered the house using breathing apparatus, then brought in a fan to clear the house of smoke. Other rooms were affected by the fumes.

The cooker and other areas of the room were damaged by heat.

After dealing with the incident, the crew installed fire alarms inside the house, as it did not have any.

Any County Durham residents who would like a home fire safety check, which can include the installation of dectetors, can contact the fire service on 332 4222 or their nearest fire station.