A DRINK-DRIVING charge against fallen football star Paul Gascoigne has been dropped.
Gascoigne, 43, had been accused of driving under the influence at Leeming Bar, North Yorkshire, last February.
Michael Harvey, 41, who was co-accused with the former Tottenham and England star will stand trial accused of drink-driving.
Mr Harvey’s solicitor, Charles Weidner, said he understood a witness had made a statement which led the prosecution to believe there was no realistic chance of a successfull prosecution of the footballer.
Gazza had been due to appear before Northallerton magistrates on February 15.
The former England midfielder has always denied driving a Ford Transit van on February 7 last year while over the legal limit and driving without insurance and the start of the trial has been adjourned four times.
At his last court appearance, Gazza represented himself after his lawyer, Stephen Andrews, withdrew from the case.
Mr Weidner said: “I believe there has been a further statement from a witness which led the prosecution to believe there was no realistic chance of a prosecution against Mr Gascoigne.
“However, my client’s trial will still go ahead.”
Mr Harvey is also charged with driving while disqualified and driving without insurance.
Gascoigne was given a suspended prison sentence by magistrates in Newcastle on 9 December 2010 after he admitted a separate charge of drinking and driving.