Firework pushed through letterbox of Houghton home

News

News

0
Have your say

FOUR people escaped unharmed after a firework was pushed through the door of a house in Houghton.

One fire engine from Rainton Bridge and two from Farringdon were called to the address in Queensway on Tuesday night.

Tyne and Wear Assistant Chief Fire Officer Chris Lowther said: “Fireworks are explosive devices and as such are incredibly dangerous.

“They can have devastating consequences – including serious injury and death. There is no doubt that this family are very lucky as it could easily have resulted in a very different story.

“It is illegal for fireworks to be set off or thrown in a public place. I cannot highlight enough the importance of safe use of fireworks, and the potential serious harm caused by their reckless use.

“Bonfire night is one of the busiest times of the year for the emergency services and we would encourage everyone to attend an organised display.”

Northumbria Police are investigating into the incident.

Neighbourhood Inspector Lisa Musgrove said: “I would urge people not to misuse fireworks and to realise the danger of such reckless acts.

“It’s an offence to throw a firework in a street or any other public place and we will be taking action if any such incidents are reported to us.”

Anyone with information is asked to contact police on 101 or the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.