FIRE crews used ladders and a hose reel to put out a fire in the chimney of a house in Hetton.
A total of 12 firefighters from Rainton Bridge, Farringdon and Washington stations were called to the terraced house in Houghton Road, shortly after 5pm on Friday, May 24.
They used a roof ladder and a 10.5 metre ladder to get onto the roof of the two-storey property.
A firefighter was secured to the ladders using a line and directed a hose reel down the chimney to extinguish the fire, which had started in the flue of a multi-fuel stove.
The living room of the house was left lightly damaged by smoke.
The rest of the house was not affected.