Firefighters break into house to rescue mother and child from blaze

editorial image
0
Have your say

A WOMAN and her young daughter were rescued after their house caught fire this morning.

Firefighters from Fulwell station in Sunderland and an appliance from South Shields were called to the detached house in Whitburn Road, Cleadon, at about 5.30am.

They broke in through a rear door and put out the fire in a dining area.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus went upstairs and rescued the 32-year-old woman and her five year-old daughter.

They were the only occupants of the house at the time and were taken to South Tyneside General Hospital for a precautionary check.

The house was smoke-logged.

Fulwell Watch Manager Gordon Chalk said working smoke alarms and prompt action by the woman saved their lives.

“Keep smoke alarms in working order is the message,” added Mr Chalk. “The alarm alerted the householder, and she did exactly the right thing.

“The control room advised her to go to a room as far away from the fire as possible, shut the door and put towels and blankets at the bottom of it.

“She did exactly what she should have done which enabled us to effect the rescue.”