Fire brigade called out after food overheats in Sunderland pensioner’s flat

editorial image
0
Have your say

FIRE crews were called out after food overheated in a sheltered housing resident’s microwave.

It happened shortly after 7pm at Beaumont Lodge, in Toward Road, Hendon.

Food caught fire after overheating in the pensioner’s microwave, causing extensive smoke damage to the room.

The resident, who is in his 70s, was helped out of the room by a warden before fire officers got to the scene.

He is not believed to have been injured.

Two crews from Sunderland Central and one crew from North Moor dealt with the incident.

Watch manager Don McAneny, of Sunderland Central, said: “One of the occupants of the home had left food in the microwave so his flat was heavily smoke-lagged.

“We made sure that fire was extinguished and used positive pressure ventilation to clear the smoke.

“We went to give the man treatment, but he left the scene and police are investigating where he is.”