CAFE customers had to be evacuated due to a minor fire.
About 15 people were ushered out of Cafe d’ Mill in Sunderland city centre on Thursday.
A small fire broke out behind a wooden fascia at the front of the building in High Street West.
Firefighters from Sunderland East Station, in Railway Row, were called to the scene shortly after 4.40pm, after staff spotted the flames.
They spent about 45 minutes removing the damaged sign and dowsing the flames.
The Echo understands the blaze was caused by an electrical fault after water got into outside electrical wiring during yesterday’s heavy rain.
The fire has not affected the cafe opening