Family flee fire

0
Have your say

A FAMILY had to flee after a blaze broke out at their Wearside home today.

Firefighters were called to Horsley Road, in Barmston, Washington, at about 12.20am after a smoke alarm alerted the householders to a fire downstairs.

The people living in the house discovered the sofa on fire and managed to get outside.

Crew manager Aidan Crawley, of Washington fire station, said: “Two pumps from Washington and one hose reel put out the fire in the living room before we ventilated the property.

“From speaking to the residents we believe the fire was started by a cigarette not being disposed of.”

The downstairs area of the house was heavily damaged by fire.