Elderly woman treated after breathing in smoke from kitchen blaze

The Gables in Washington. Image copyright Google Maps.
The Gables in Washington. Image copyright Google Maps.

A pensioner was given help by firefighters and paramedics after a kitchen fire in her house.

Firefighters from Washington, Marley Park and Birtley were called to the mid-terrace house in The Gables, off Fatfield Road in Washington, after the fire was reported.

The woman was found in house and persuaded to leave the house and given treatment after breathing in smoke, but refused hospital treatment.

The blaze destroyed a kettle and also caused damage to the hob, with most of the room damaged by fire.

Other areas of the ground floor was also affected by the fumes.

The crew found the fire had died out when they arrived and two officers wearing breathing apparatus helped clear the house of smoke.

The incident happened just after 11am.