Elderly lady sparks fire in her Sunderland home after putting electric kettle on top of hot cooker hob

Oaklands Crescent in Southwick. Copyright Google Maps.

Oaklands Crescent in Southwick. Copyright Google Maps.

0
Have your say

Firefighters went to the aid of a pensioner after she started a fire in her kitchen by putting an electric kettle on top of a cooker to boil.

A crew from Marley Park Fire Station were called to Oaklands Crescent in Southwick at 1.30am today after the fire was reported.

The householder, who is aged in her 70s, had called for help after the blaze had set off the smoke alarms in the semi-detached house.

The officers put out the fire with water and then took the kettle into the garden.

Only minor smoke damage was caused to the kitchen, with windows opened to let out the smoke.