DCSIMG

Woman saved from burning Sunderland home

editorial image

editorial image

DILIGENT neighbours helped save a Wearside woman from her smoke-filled home.

Residents in Warwick Street became concerned when they heard an alarm going off in one of the houses at around 10pm last night.

They went out to investigate and realised they could smell smoke coming from the house.

While waiting for the fire engines the neighbours tried to alert the householder by banging on the door and trying to gain entry, but were unsuccessful.

Fire crews from Fulwell Station arrived on the scene, forced their way into the house and found the occupant, a woman in her 40s, overcome by smoke in the living room.

She was carried out of the house, where luckily she came round quickly and paramedics administered first aid on the scene.

Crew manager Steve Bewick, said: “It looks like she had put a pan on to cook and then fallen asleep. The smoke alarm had activated, but for some reason didn’t wake her, she may have already been overcome by the smoke.

“The fire itself was quite small, but the property was heavily smoke-logged.

“She was very lucky indeed. The neighbours on both sides were very diligent and it show how important having a smoke alarm is.”

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page