DANCING dragons were part of the fun as Wearside children celebrated Chinese New Year.
Youngsters at West Rainton Primary School, and Bournmoor Primary School all threw themselves into a day of activities to mark the event – including dragon dancing.
Dean Marshall, headteacher at West Rainton Primary, said: “It is an enormous thing and the children really enjoyed making it.”
Pupils at Seaham Harbour Nursery School, in Bottle Works Road, tucked in to Chinese cuisine, tried on traditional Chinese dress and built their own Great Wall.
Headteacher Carole Scott said: “The children have really enjoyed it and some of them have really taken it in and have a good understanding of what we’ve been doing.”
Hundreds also turned out to watch celebrations in Durham City’s Market Place on Saturday, including the city’s Mayor and Mayoress Coun John Wilkinson and his wife Cynthia.
- Boss Di Canio wants six new men for Sunderland
- Bus crashes into Sunderland JobCentre
- Pool pervert used shoe mirror to spy on woman changing in Sunderland Aquatic Centre
- Survival assured, Sunderland boss can plan future
- ‘You can’t live a lie and spend your life feeling sad’ – transgender modelling competition finalist tells all
- DOBSON MARKS START OF HEALTH C
- Di Canio: Sunderland players will get a shorter summer break if they don’t perform well at Tottenham
- Last post is 6.30pm (but get here by 5.30pm)
- TV chef Martin Blunos takes over the kitchen at Seaham Hall
- Sunderland museums and arts centres lose out as donations head to London
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Sunderland
Sunday 19 May 2013
Temperature: 9 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 10 mph
Wind direction: North east
Temperature: 9 C to 17 C
Wind Speed: 14 mph
Wind direction: North