E-cigarette sparks evacuation of South Shields supermarket

Customers are evacuated from Morrisons in South Shields after an e-cigarette sparked a fire alert
Customers are evacuated from Morrisons in South Shields after an e-cigarette sparked a fire alert
0
Have your say

A plugged in E-cigarette sparked the evacuation of a town centre supermarket.

Customers and staff at Morrison’s in South Shields were asked to leave when smoke from a charging e-cigarette sparked a fire alert.

The device had melted whilst charging causing it to fill an office and corridor with smoke.

Firefighters from South Shields were called to the building at about 3.30pm, today.

A fan was used to clear the area of smoke.

Crew manager Tony Chapman said: “People should never leave E-cigarettes unattended while charging and keep them well away from flammable materials.

“This could have been a lot more serious than it was.”