Don’t drink and cook – Sunderland firefighters’ warning after midnight feast goes wrong

0
Have your say

FIRE crews were called to rescue a man from a kitchen fire.

The 22-year-old, of Worcester Terrace, Sunderland, had attempted to cook after he had been out on Monday.

Firefighters were called to his ground floor flat at about 11pm.

The man, who was pulled from his bedroom by two firemen from Railway Row fire station, was given oxygen and assessed by an ambulance crew.

Watch manager Don McAneny said he was lucky not be seriously hurt.

“This fire highlights the dangers to trying to cook after having alcohol.

“The man was very lucky that he was not injured. “I would just like to warn people how dangerous it can be. If you must have something to eat after a night out, then have something that doesn’t need cooking, or buy something.”

The other residents in the building were alerted by the working smoke alarm in the flat, and no one else was injured.