Dog saved by firefighters after blaze breaks out in Washington home

Firefighters rescued a dog from a Washington home after a fire broke out in the kitchen

Firefighters rescued a dog from a Washington home after a fire broke out in the kitchen

0
Have your say

A dog has been rescued from a bungalow in Washington after an electrical fuse board sparked a fire in the property.

Firefighters from Washington and Birtley attended the home at The Terraces in Columbia at just before 7pm tonight.

The owner, a woman, had already managed to leave the property after realising something was wrong.

However, her pet dog Alfie was trapped inside. The 18-month Shih Tzu was rescued by firefighters, wearing breathing apparatus, and given oxygen therapy.

The blaze was caused by a fault on an electrical fuse board in the kitchen.

The kitchen was destroyed by the fire. The rest of the property was smoke damaged.

Crew Manager Aidan Crawley, said: "Both the lady and the dog are okay. The lady had realised there was something wrong and evacuated the property.

"The bungalow was fitted with a smoke alarm which sounded, which highlights just how important it is for homes to be fitted with smoke alarms."