Dog rescued in Sunderland house fire

editorial image
0
Have your say

A DOG had to be rescued from a burning home.

Though the 65-year-old resident of a house on fire in Gray Road managed to get out of the property, firefighters had to rescue his pet black labrador.

The owner was taken to Sunderland Royal Hospital suffering from smoke inhalation.

A crew from Sunderland Central fire station were called to the scene in Hendon at just after 1am this morning.

It’s thought a large battery device, which was being charged in the kitchen, may be responsible for the fire.

The kitchen was destroyed in the blaze, while the rest of the house was smoke damaged.

A neighbour was looking after the dog while the owner was in hospital.

Simon Johnson, crew manager, said: “We would like to reiterate to people the importance of smoke alarms. Fortunately, this property had them fitted which alerted the occupant to the fire.

“If people don’t have them, they can contact their local fire station who will come and fit them for free.”