A CONCERNED dog owner has warned people with pets to be on their guard after he found chocolate laced with drawing pins on the route of a popular walk.
Marc Carne has slammed those responsible for the “sickening” act, which he says could cause serious injury to animals or children.
The 42-year-old was walking his beloved terrier, Jake, in the area of Castle Eden Dene which runs through Peterlee town centre, when he found the food.
Marc said he only just managed to stop his two-year-old rescue dog from eating some of the chocolate.
He added: “At some point in his life Jake must have been left to fend for himself, so if he gets a sniff of food he is off.
“He made for the chocolate and I just noticed something glistening and managed to pull him back before he could eat any. Luckily he was on the lead.
I’m thankful I managed to prevent Jake from eating the chocolate, but other pets and owners might not be so lucky.Marc Carne, dog owner
“I realised each chunk has a drawing pin pushed into it. I managed to pick up all the pieces I could see, probably about a dozen, and get rid of them.”
But the next day when he was walking in the same area near his Gilbert Road home behind the Lidl store, he found more pieces.”
He said: “It is sickening that people could do this, a child could easily decide to eat the chocolate. There is always broken glass everywhere, which is bad enough, but this is terrible.
“I just want people to be vigilant and know what to look out for.
“This type of targeting dogs is becoming like an epidemic nationally. I have seen posts online of other such things happening in other areas.”
Marc said a friend of his lost their puppy around Christmas time when it ate a piece of muffin laced with bits of razor blade while out walking in Durham, which cut the animal’s throat.
He said: “People who do this sort of thing are just idiots looking for a laugh. They don’t think about the pain they could cause. At the end of the day dogs are part of the family for most people.”
“I’m thankful I managed to prevent Jake from eating the chocolate, but other pets and owners might not be so lucky.”