Disco inferno - firefighters urge Sunderland householders not to burn furniture and hi-fis in the garden!

0
Have your say

HOUSEHOLDERS are being urged to take bulky waste to a skip or have it removed after a garden fire sparked fears a house was ablaze.

Firefighters from Peterlee were called to the town’s Fairbairn Road after a plume of black smoke was seen rising from the street.

When they arrived, they found someone who had just moved into a house was burning a settee, music system speakers, a chair and other goods, at 5.30pm on Wednesday.

They were then called to an allotment site in Shotton Colliery just after 7pm to deal with a similar incident.

Watch manager Peter Brown said: “It would be better off if people got their rubbish taken away by the council, which will come and remove bigger items, or take them to a skip.”

To make arrangements for waste collections call Durham County Council, tel. 527 0501.