A TEENAGE mum who falsely claimed she had been the victim of a sex attack has been put behind bars.
As a result of the fake allegation made by Riah Toms, an innocent man spent seven hours in a police cell and spent a month on bail thinking he faced going to trial over something he had not done.
Newcastle Crown Court heard 19-year-old Toms made the false claim against the victim after boyfriend Aaron Cammock had attacked him outside Arizona bar in Sunderland on April 4 last year.
Toms had hoped her fake allegation may have saved her boyfriend from going to jail for the violence he used. Last May, Cammock, 20, of Goschen Street, Southwick was jailed for 33 months for his vicious attack on the victim, who was punched and kicked in the head.
Toms, of Ferryboat Lane, Hylton Castle, yesterday sobbed in the dock as she was put behind bars for six weeks for her fake claims.
Judge John Evans told her: “What you did was very wrong and it had the impact of putting an entirely innocent individual in custody for a number of hours. He was thereafter released but he faced the possibility of a quite improper prosecution for some time thereafter.
“It is clear from what you said to the probation officer, you had discussed this very issue of what you were going to do in the event of the police arresting your partner.
“It is clear you planned to make a false allegation.”
Prosecutor Kevin Wardlaw told the court Toms claimed to police that the man who was beaten by her boyfriend had sexually assaulted, her both inside and outside the city centre bar.
After already being the victim of the brutal beating the man was then arrested on suspicion of sexual assaults. It was not until May he was told a decision had been made that no further action would be taken against him.
Toms pleaded guilty to perverting the course of justice.
Jamie Adams, defending, said Toms had been the victim of bullying in the past.