A SUNDERLAND fan who was involved in a violent post-match clash has had his football banning order lifted.
Bradley Allen was one of a number of supporters who appeared before the courts after violence involving Newcastle and Sunderland fans flared at Newcastle central station in 2009.
After admitting a public order offence when his case was dealt with in 2011, Allen was sentenced to a community order with a three year ban from attending matches.
The 22-year-old, of Edgeworth Crescent, Fulwell, appeared at Newcastle Crown Court yesterday to make an application to appeal for the ban to be lifted.
Despite an objection from police, in the light of derby day violence when Sunderland played at Newcastle last month, Judge James Goss QC agreed to lift the restriction, starting from July.
Prosecutor Christopher Knox told the court: “The (police) football intelligence unit indicated in April there was no further evidence in relation to this defendant, he kept himself entirely out of any trouble or suspicion and they were “Subsequently there was bad disorder at the Newcastle Sunderland match comparatively recently.
“The police have indicated they are, as a consequence of that, minded to resist the application as a matter of principal, because they wanted to be quite clear they are obviously very concerned about violence, particularly between Newcastle and Sunderland.”
The court heard Allen, who has been in no trouble before or since 2009, is not accused of any involvement in the latest clash.
David Combe, defending, said “happiness reigns” now both Newcastle and Sunderland have secured their positions in the Premier League next season.
But Judge Goss said: “Happiness will reign until they play each other again then there is the risk there will be further disturbances.
“The fact there has been another recent disturbance involving football so-called supporters causes concern to the general public.”
Mr Combe said Allen lives with his parents, comes from a respectable background and has been kept away from matches for a total of four years due to his bail conditions before the actual ban was imposed.
Judge Goss said he would lift the ban beginning from July 1, meaning Allen will miss the last game of this season.
The judge said: “There is obviously concern on everyone’s part, particularly law abiding citizens of this area, that football hooliganism is prevented wherever possible.”
Judge Goss warned Allen he must be careful of who he associates with and how he behaves when attending future games.
The judge said: “If he becomes involved in any future incidents of disorder the consequences will be very significant indeed.”