SUNDERLAND AFC defender Titus Bramble has been charged with a third count of sexual assault.
The 30-year-old appeared at Teesside Magistrates’ Court yesterday, over allegations of indecently touching two women in separate incidents in a nightclub in Yarm, in September.
The alleged incident took place the evening after Sunderland lost 2-1 away to Norwich City, a league game in which Bramble played the full 90 minutes.
At court, the former England Under-21 player, of Wynyard, Teesside, was told he now faces an another sexual assault charge, which relates to one of the existing complainants.
Bramble, dressed in a dark grey suit, white shirt and black and grey tie, denied the new charge. He has already pleaded not guilty to the original two allegations.
The case was committed to Teesside Crown Court on a date yet to be fixed.
The footballer was formally cleared of a charge of urinating in a public place after the prosecution said it was no longer being pursued.
Bramble’s solicitor, Phil Smith, from Tuckers Solicitors in London, said after his client’s committal for trial: “These false charges, based on poor quality and contradictory evidence, are – and have always been – fervently denied.”
“Titus very much looks forward to the opportunity to clear his name at his trial in the Crown Court.”
Also yesterday, it was revealed that fellow SAFC star Nicklas Bendtner had been arrested in connection with an alleged brawl at a hotel.
The 23-year-old Denmark international was held by police after reports of an incident at the Hilton, in Gateshead.
Bendtner was arrested on September 13, but details have only just come to light.
No charges were brought against the on-loan Arsenal player.
A Northumbria Police spokeswoman said: “At 2.18am on Thursday, September 13, police received a report of a fight at the Hilton Hotel in Gateshead.
“Officers attended and two men aged 23 were arrested to prevent continued breach of the peace.
“After investigations, both men were released without charge.”
SAFC declined to comment.
Bendtner and club captain Lee Cattermole are currently on bail in connection with an alleged car-wrecking spree in Stowell Street, Newcastle, last month.
After that arrest, he issued a statement in the Danish media saying: “I am extremely sorry for all of this.
“I apologise sincerely that I have allowed myself to get involved in things that are interpreted in such dramatic fashion.
“I fully assume responsibility for not distancing myself from these incidents before they got out of hand.
“The error is mine alone and I am sorry that I have let so many people down.
“Basically I am a normal guy with an extraordinary job.
“I tend to forget this at times but deep down I know these things.
“And it does not serve as an excuse for me letting myself get caught up in this.
“I admit my sense of judgement has been less than perfect lately.”