A TEENAGER accused of interrupting a football game dressed as superhero Spider-Man has been banned from the Stadium of Light pending a police investigation.
Bradley Minto, pictured, also known as Bradley Dyer, was arrested after he ran on to the pitch wearing the comic book character all-in-one during Sunderland’s game against Manchester City on Wednesday night.
YouTube clips of the stunt have so far received more than 50,000 hits, and the 18-year-old has since revealed that he acted on a dare to raise money for charity.
Now Sunderland AFC officials have said that he will not be welcome at the ground should he return there.
A spokesman said: “The policy of the club is that he will be banned until the outcome of the police investigation, then that ban will be reviewed.”
Bradley, of Fordfield Road, decided to carry out the stunt after friends said they would donate money to St Benedict’s Hospice in memory of his late mum, Sharon Dyer.
Sharon was bought life-prolonging drugs as part of the Echo’s Buy Sharon Time campaign, after she was diagnosed with terminal cancer. She died in August 2009, aged just 40.
Bradley told the Echo: “I’ve had the costume for a while and I just thought it would be a laugh to run on. Some people said if I did they’d give me some money to go to St Benedict’s Hospice.
“My mam wasn’t treated there, even though she was due to go there before she died, but I think it’s the right kind of place to raise money for.”
Bradley said that he waited until Manchester City had the ball before jumping over the advertising hoardings and getting on to the pitch during the game.
After being apprehended by stewards, Bradley was taken to the Stadium of Light custody suite before being formally arrested by police.
“I just hope I don’t get sent to prison over it,” he said. “It’s not as if I hurt anyone, and it was all over quickly.”
Bradley is due to appear at Sunderland Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday, December 23, charged with going into a playing area designated for football matches.