Speeding charges mistakes lands man, 67, in court and banned from driving

editorial image
0
Have your say

An elderly man was hauled before a court after he was banned from driving by mistake without his knowledge.

Peter Vassallo, 67, was dealt with twice for two offences of speeding last year due to a mistake which meant they were duplicated.

Mr Vassallo has investigated all that and had the matter brought back before the court and the court accepted that this was a massive mistake

Defence solicitor Brian Chapman

Although he had already been given six penalty points, he was accidentally given another six and was banned, Sunderland magistrates heard.

As a result, Vassallo was stopped driving his Land Rover on the A690 Durham Road near Sunderland on February 2.

Police enquiries showed he was a disqualified driver. Officers then inspected his vehicle and found one of his tyres to be defective.

Vassallo, of Prospect Hill, Corbridge, Northumberland, admitted having a defective tyre.

Brian Chapman, defending, said: “He has already been punished in relation to this matter. Police uplifted his vehicle and took it away. He was arrested for driving whilst disqualified.

“The circumstances appear to be quite unusual. He had already received six penalty points. He then further prosecuted without his knowledge for these offences and was disqualified in his absence without his knowledge.

“Mr Vassallo has investigated all that and had the matter brought back before the court and the court accepted that this was a massive mistake, which has cost Mr Vassallo a large amount of money.”

Mr Chapman said it cost £400 to get the car back from the police, and added that had he only been dealt with for the defective tyre he would have simply been given a rectification notice to fix it.

He was given three points and an absolute discharge.