DAVID Rathband has moved out of the home he shares with his wife and children, it has been confirmed.
The news comes as an inquest into the death of the man who shot and blinded him, killer Raoul Moat, was due to start today.
A spokesman for the Northumbria Police officer, who began his career in Sunderland confirmed the moving out but said it has been made to help in his recovery.
He said it has nothing to do with the recent arrest of the 43-year-old father-of-two, on suspicion of assault at his home last month.
The spokesman said: “As part of David’s continued rehabilitation, and so that he cam come to terms with his horrific injuries and learn to live independently, he is starting his rehabilitation programme on Monday – which means he will be living separately from Kath and his family.
“David and Kath are very much still a married couple who love each other and who have two children to consider, and their separation is purely for David’s rehabilitation and so that he can ultimately continue to support his family.
“This decision is in no way connected to David’s arrest, and no formal allegations have been made and both David and Kath consider the matter closed.”
It has been reported that Pc Rathband is due to begin work as a 999 call handler.
Former bouncer Moat died in July last yea,r when he shot himself with a gun after a taser was fired at him on the riverbanks in Rothbury.
A manhunt was launched after he shot and injured his ex-girlfriend and killed her new boyfriend in Birtley, before firing at Pc Rathband as the officer sat in a marked car just off the A1.