THE murder of a vulnerable man remains unsolved – 20 years after he was stabbed to death.
Tomorrow marks the 20th anniversary of the disappearance of youth worker Peter Bowes, 22, who was last seen alive on October 6, 1993.
His bloodstained body was found at the bottom of a 100ft ravine at Castle Eden Dene in Peterlee.
He had suffered up to 32 stab wounds and there were cuts across his hands and arms where he had tried to defend himself.
No one has ever been convicted of Mr Bowes’s murder.
Police admitted the case is closed, but said they would act on any new information.
Mr Bowes of Southway, Peterlee, had been missing for more than two months before children made the grisly discovery of his body in December 1993.
Ian Stoves, then 30, was later charged with murder, but was unanimously cleared by a jury after a trial at Teesside Crown Court in May 1995.
Acting Detective Sergeant Nicky Cummins, from the Durham Constabulary, said: “There are no new developments, we are not actively investigating this murder, unless anything new comes to light.”
Anyone with new information is asked to call Durham Constabulary on 101.