UNWANTED post has started landing on the doormats of criminals – courtesy of police.
Since launching last month, Durham Constabulary has sent 72 letters to troublemakers who have been arrested in the city centre.
The letter warns offenders to be on their best behaviour when entering the city or face severe action.
If they are caught misbehaving, their details could be passed on to CCTV camera operators, Shopwatch or Pubwatch members.
They also sent a stark warning that the tough measures may also lead to them being banned from certain premises if they re-offend.
Inspector Paul Anderson, head of the neighbourhood policing team in Durham, has been signing the letters and said more will be sent out in the run up to Christmas.
The aim of the initiative is to keep the city centre safe for residents, workers and visitors.
He said: “Durham is a historic, beautiful and generally-safe city which welcomes visitors and we are aiming to keep it that way.
“Those who commit criminal offences or antisocial behaviour are now aware we will be keeping an eye open for them when they come into the city.
“More letters will be sent out in the weeks leading up to the busy festive season.”
Last month the police and other agencies launched Safe City, an ongoing initiative aimed at raising confidence and improving the quality of life for residents, shoppers and visitors to Durham city.
Safe City was officially launched on October 26 by police, County Durham and Darlington Fire and Rescue, Durham County Council, Safe Durham Partnership and local retailers and residents.
The campaign will be regularly evaluated using a number of criteria, including levels of recorded crime, reports of antisocial behaviour and public confidence.
For more information, visit www.durham.police.uk.