Rape survivor faces accused in Spanish court

editorial image

editorial image

BRAVE rape survivor Cheryl Maddison has come face-to-face with her alleged attacker in a Spanish court.

The 25-year-old aspiring model was brutally attacked and left for dead in a sickening attack on the island of Majorca.

Now assistant betting shop manager is facing her accused rapist across to court room in the capital, Palma.

Cheryl set off for the popular holiday destination on Monday, with partner Kaine Macdonald supporting her.

She watched the start of the three-day court hearing from the public gallery.

Accused Mohamed Fadel El Anssari, a 31-year-old waiter from Morocco, sat in the dock with his head buried in his hands throughout.

The court is excepted to hear how Cheryl was viciously raped, stabbed and left in a pool of her own blood, after moving to the island to fulfil a life-long dream of working abroad.

Speaking to the Echo before she left, Cheryl said: “I’m really nervous about facing him again as I can’t actually remember what he looks like and would prefer for it to stay that way, but my partner is going be with me every step of the way.

“I just hope he gets the maximum time in prison so he can’t hurt any one else.

“I can’t wait for the trial to be over as I just want put it all to bed now, it’s my past and I want look to the future and not have to keep going over and over it.”

Cheryl was attacked after leaving the North East to set up home in the Spanish resort and had not even spent a night in her new apartment.

She left a job at Claire’s Accessories in Peterlee the day before flying out to Majorca, staying in a hotel for six days before getting a job at Murphy’s Bar on Punta Ballena, Magaluf.

She gave up her right to anonymity to describe how the attacker pounced as she was walking home from work.

Spanish police arrested the man in July 2011 and he confessed to carrying out the violent assault.

He was also questioned in connection with a series of other rapes and sex attacks in the resort, which is a favourite with British tourists.

Recalling her brutal ordeal in May 2008, Cheryl spent two weeks in a Spanish hospital, where she was joined by her distraught mum and one of her sisters, before being allowed home to Murton.

At an initial hearing in Palma last year, her attacker formally confessed to committing while high on drink and drugs.

Twitter: @janethejourno


Back to the top of the page