DCSIMG

Nikki Allan killing suspect to have bail extended

Nikki Allan

Nikki Allan

A MAN arrested on suspicion of killing Nikki Allan will have his bail extended, the schoolgirl’s mum said today.

Detectives leading the investigation into the seven-year-old’s death have told Sharon Henderson that Steven Grieveson will remain on police bail until at least July.

The 43-year-old suspect is due to answer bail next month following his arrest in February.

Ms Henderson, 47, of Ryhope, Sunderland, said: “They came to see me yesterday morning.

“I will have to wait until July to find out what happens but I’m glad I’m being kept informed of all the latest developments.”

Nikki vanished after leaving her grandparents’ flat in Wear Garth, East End, on October 7, 1992.

Her battered body was found the following day in a derelict building, lying in a pool of blood. She had been stabbed 37 times in the chest.

Despite repeated pleas for information, no one has ever been convicted of the crime.

February’s arrest followed a resurgence of activity in the case.

It was triggered by a television reconstruction documenting the last minutes of the seven-year-old’s life, filmed to mark the 21st anniversary of her death.

Following the screening of the BBC programme last year, Northumbria Police detectives revealed they were investigating a series of new leads.

Then, in February, Northumbria Police announced they had arrested a 43-year-old man.

He was questioned at a North-East police station before being bailed.

Ms Henderson was informed of the arrest as she recovered in Sunderland Royal Hospital after suffering a suspected stroke.

Since then, the mum has written a letter to Mr Grieveson asking for help in ending one of Sunderland’s oldest unsolved murder cases.

Ms Henderson, who has yet to receive a reply to her letter, said: “I wanted to write the letter because I want to get answers, like any mother would.

“I have been fighting for 
these answers for almost 22 years now.

“The pain never goes away.”

A spokesman for Northumbria Police would only confirm that a 43-year-old man was due to answer police bail next month.

Detectives are still appealing for information and are particularly keen to speak to anyone who used to frequent the old Exchange building around the time of Nikki’s death.

l Anyone who thinks they may have information that could help with inquiries is asked to telephone the police on 101, ext 69191.

 
 
 

Back to the top of the page