Mum dismayed as no witnesses come forward after disabled teenager mown down in Sunderland hit-and-run

Hit and run victim Calum Jacques of North Bridge Street, Monkwearmouth Sunderland.

Hit and run victim Calum Jacques of North Bridge Street, Monkwearmouth Sunderland.

0
Have your say

THE mum of a disabled teenager mowed down in a hit-and-run says she is disappointed no witnesses have come forward.

The Echo reported last week how 17-year-old Callum Jacques was hit by a car in Keir Hardie Way, next to Sunderland’s Aquatic Centre, one evening last month.

Former Monkwearmouth School pupil Callum, was left lying in a pool of his own blood following the ordeal and had to be taken to Sunderland Royal Hospital.

Callum, who was born with Erb’s Palsy which means he is unable to use his right arm, suffered a deep cut to his forehead and a leg injury.

He is now recovering at his North Bridge Street home.

Today, Callum’s mum Anna once again appealed for help to catch the person responsible.

“The police have told me that no new witnesses have come forward yet,” said Anna, 36.

“There was a man at the scene and a woman who stopped to help too and they haven’t heard from them.

“It’s really disappointing, but we’ll keep going.

“The officers have asked if I can keep posting the appeal on my Facebook page so I’m doing it three times a day.”

Callum first hit the headlines almost four years ago after being awarded £175,000 in an out-of-court settlement, when medics at Sunderland Royal Hospital failed to diagnose his Erb’s Palsy, a form of paralysis.

Immediately after Callum’s birth, in which he had to be resuscitated, doctors told Anna that her boy’s right shoulder was swollen, but would mend itself in time.

He is still unable to use his right arm.

Anna, also mum to Lauren, 18, and Louis, 10, said the support of Wearsiders has been overwhelming for the family since the news first broke.

“People I don’t even know have stopped me in the town centre and asked if I’m Callum’s mam and how he’s doing.

“The general public have been absolutely fantastic.

“Callum’s doing well at home now and he’s been back to hospital to have his stitches out.

“He’s a bit miffed because there’s an exam coming up for the FA coaching course he’s doing, but because of what happened he can only do the written part, not the practical.”

Callum, who was run over just before 6.45pm on Tuesday, January 27, says the vehicle he was hit by was a black estate car and was driven by a man aged in his late 20s or early 30s, with dark hair and stubble. Anyone with information regarding the incident should contact police on 101, extension 69191, quoting log number 954 of 27/01/15.