Mum disgusted as driver who hit her son, 3, only given warning

Rebecca Bradshaw with her three-year-old son Jason Lowther who was hit by a car while on the Pelican Crossing near his Easington Colliery home. The driver has received a caution.
Rebecca Bradshaw with her three-year-old son Jason Lowther who was hit by a car while on the Pelican Crossing near his Easington Colliery home. The driver has received a caution.
12
Have your say

A MUM has today hit out after a driver who knocked down her three year-old son was given a warning.

Rebecca Bradshaw says she is “disgusted” the motorist was not prosecuted, after son Jason was left in hospital with a fractured leg.

Jason had been walking across a pelican crossing at Seaside Lane in Easington Colliery with dad, Steven, 35, when he was hit by the car.

Rebecca said her son had waited for the green light before walking, but was then hit by the vehicle.

Jason was left in agony as paramedics took him to Sunderland Royal Hospital, where he spent the next three days after being diagnosed with a fractured tibia and fibia.

The accident, which happened on September 9 last year, was investigated by Durham Police.

Rebecca this week received a letter telling her the motorist had been warned for driving without due care and attention and had taken part in a one-day approved driving skills course.

“I think it’s disgusting,” the 28-year-old told the Echo.

“They should definitely have charged the driver and brought about a prosecution.

“This woman isn’t being punished at all for hitting my son.

“I don’t understand how the police can think this is the best course of action.”

Jason had been crossing the road with his dad and two sisters, Chloe, 11, and Karmen, eight.

Rebecca said: “His dad saw the car coming then it just clipped him with the back wheel.”

A Durham Police spokesperson said: “The driver of the car involved in this collision was given the option of enrolling on the National Driver Alertness Course, or facing proceedings at the magistrates court, which would likely have been a fine and driving licence endorsement.

“She took the option of the course, which was completed in April.

“The option of enrolling on the National Driver Alertness Course is only offered to some drivers involved in collisions, depending on the circumstances.

“Ultimately, the aim is to bring about an improvement in driver behaviour and an increased level of safety for everyone using our roads and a broad range of tools must be used to achieve this.

“The course is designed to assist with this process.

“In this instance, it was felt that the option of attending a course would be more appropriate than a prosecution.

“The family of the victim were consulted about this decision prior to the driver being informed.”

Twitter: @craigjourno.