TWO men who attacked a man who suffers from mental health problems walked free from court.
Carl Winfield and Robert Glasper were both given suspended sentences at Durham Crown Court for punching and kicking their 36-year-old victim.
Prosecutor Shaun Dryden said the dispute began over a remark shouted from a window.
“That may have been misunderstood,” he added. “The assault took place when the victim answered the door to the two men.
“Winfield was heard to say he wanted the victim out of the village.
“The victim was later taken to hospital where he was treated for bruising.
“He has since been rehoused out of the area because he no longer felt safe in his own home.”
Winfield, 26, of Primrose Crescent, and Glasper, 29, of Rose Crescent, both Burnmoor, each admitted assault occasioning actual bodily harm on June 20, last year.
Lawyers for the two men said neither had any history of violence, and the injuries they caused were minor.
The Recorder, John Aitken, sentenced Winfield to six months in prison, and Glasper to nine months in prison, both suspended for 18 months.
“This was a mean and nasty offence,” he said.
“Had the injuries you caused been any more serious, you would have gone straight to prison today.”
Winfield and Glasper were ordered to each pay £100 compensation to their victim.
- Boss Di Canio wants six new men for Sunderland
- Bus crashes into Sunderland JobCentre
- Pool pervert used shoe mirror to spy on woman changing in Sunderland Aquatic Centre
- Survival assured, Sunderland boss can plan future
- ‘You can’t live a lie and spend your life feeling sad’ – transgender modelling competition finalist tells all
- DOBSON MARKS START OF HEALTH C
- Di Canio: Sunderland players will get a shorter summer break if they don’t perform well at Tottenham
- Last post is 6.30pm (but get here by 5.30pm)
- TV chef Martin Blunos takes over the kitchen at Seaham Hall
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Sunderland
Sunday 19 May 2013
Temperature: 9 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 12 mph
Wind direction: North east
Temperature: 9 C to 15 C
Wind Speed: 15 mph
Wind direction: North