Man posted torn-up restraining order through ex’s door

editorial image
0
Have your say

A FATHER posted a torn-up restraining order through his ex’s door as he flew in a rage against the court action.

Christopher McGuigan went on trial at Newcastle Crown Court accused of two counts of breaching a non-molestation order, but changed his plea mid-trial to admit his action against his ex-girlfriend, just the day after the ban was issued.

He was said to have posted the torn-up court order through his former partner’s door, and again breached the order by emailing her.

McGuigan initially denied both charges, but on the second day of the trial he entered one guilty plea to the breach by sending an email. The other charge was ordered to lie on file.

The court earlier heard how McGuigan had failed to appear in court on three occasions when his ex-partner took out the order, although he was not legally required to do so.

He also failed to answer when a court worker came to hand the order to him on February 11, so it was posted through the door.

The following day McGuigan emailed the woman talking about “letters” he had been sent.

The pair had been together for two years before breaking up in January last year.

They have a three-year-old son together and the restraining order was taken out after difficulties over contact with him, the court heard.

McGuigan originally claimed he knew nothing of the order and said the letters he was referring to in his email were different solicitors’ letters.

However, after one day of his trial McGuigan admitted emailing his former partner.

The 27-year-old, of Birchfield, Fatfield, Washington, was granted bail and will be sentenced in September.