POLICE have named the man who died after being followed by police.
Glenn Robinson, 22, who lived with his family in Bridge Road, Shotton Colliery, was killed after his car left the road in Horden.
The Independent Police Complaints Commission has launched an investigation into the incident.
A post-mortem examination carried out by Home Office pathologist Dr Mark Egan found his death was due to head injuries.
Insp Ed Turner from the roads policing unit said: “This was a tragic death of a young man who was returning home from a night out with a friend.
“We are still working to establish why the car left the road. We know that an officer in an unmarked police car had seen the car being driven at speed along Essington Way and turned to follow it with the aim of getting it to stop.
“However, our enquiries have shown that there was no police pursuit in progress and at no time did Glenn fail to stop for the police.”
Any witnesses should ring Durham police on 101 and ask for the roads policing unit.
In a statement Glenn’s family said this afternoon: “Glenn was a kind and thoughtful young man whose death has devastated his family.
“He was the eldest of three children and was working for Durham County Council in the gardening division. He had the most fun-loving personality, was a popular and friendly character and was engaged to be married.”
- Bus crashes into Sunderland JobCentre
- Boss Di Canio wants six new men for Sunderland
- Pool pervert used shoe mirror to spy on woman changing in Sunderland Aquatic Centre
- Survival assured, Sunderland boss can plan future
- ‘You can’t live a lie and spend your life feeling sad’ – transgender modelling competition finalist tells all
- DOBSON MARKS START OF HEALTH C
- Di Canio: Sunderland players will get a shorter summer break if they don’t perform well at Tottenham
- Last post is 6.30pm (but get here by 5.30pm)
- TV chef Martin Blunos takes over the kitchen at Seaham Hall
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Sunderland
Sunday 19 May 2013
Temperature: 9 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 12 mph
Wind direction: North east
Temperature: 9 C to 15 C
Wind Speed: 15 mph
Wind direction: North