DCSIMG

Man dies after being found injured in Sunderland street – investigation underway

editorial image

editorial image

A MAN has died days after he was found slumped in a back lane with serious head injuries.

The 33-year-old was found unconscious at the rear of Carlisle Terrace in Southwick, on Tuesday morning, sparking a police inquiry into how he sustained his wounds.

He was first taken to Sunderland Royal Hospital by ambulance, but later transferred to the Royal Victoria Infirmary in Newcastle, where he was said to be in a critical but stable condition.

Northumbria Police have now confirmed the man, who has not yet been named, died on Saturday.

Officers initially said they believed he had been attacked, with two men arrested as part of the investigation.

They had been with the man shortly before he sustained his injuries and spoke to detectives voluntarily.

Police now say they do not believe there had been a fight.

A police spokesman said: “Inquiries into how the man came about his injuries are ongoing, however, at this stage there is currently no evidence to suggest an assault has taken place.

“The investigation is still ongoing.”

Witnesses who saw the man in the lead up to his discovery are still being sought.

Detective Sergeant Simon Auty said as the inquiry began: “We think that the man may have sustained his injuries around 10.30am in the rear lane of Carlisle Terrace and we need to speak to anyone who was in that area at that time and who might have seen a group of men in the back lane.

“I’d ask anyone who saw or heard anything to contact us with any information that they think could help us ascertain how this man came about his injuries.”

Anyone with any information is asked to contact police on 101 ext 69191 quoting log 408 of February 4.

 
 
 

Back to the top of the page