A SUNDERLAND man has been bailed after he was questioned over a shotgun raid on a security van parked outside a Tyneside casino.
Police swooped to arrest a 44-year-old and 31-year-old at homes in Newcastle and Sunderland on Sunday.
As the pair were being questioned on suspicion of conspiracy to commit robbery, officers searched homes and business premises believed to be linked to the robbery.
The daylight heist happened outside the Grosvenor Casino on Newcastle’s St James’ Boulevard, at about 3.50pm on Thursday.
Two men, reported to be wearing ski masks, allegedly threatened a G4S security van guard before grabbing money and making their getaway in a white 4X4.
The vehicle is now known to have been stolen during a house burglary two days earlier.
Minutes later, the Audi Q5, with the registration NL61 UDX, was found burnt out under Redheugh Bridge.
- Boss Di Canio wants six new men for Sunderland
- Bus crashes into Sunderland JobCentre
- Pool pervert used shoe mirror to spy on woman changing in Sunderland Aquatic Centre
- Survival assured, Sunderland boss can plan future
- ‘You can’t live a lie and spend your life feeling sad’ – transgender modelling competition finalist tells all
- DOBSON MARKS START OF HEALTH C
- Di Canio: Sunderland players will get a shorter summer break if they don’t perform well at Tottenham
- Last post is 6.30pm (but get here by 5.30pm)
- TV chef Martin Blunos takes over the kitchen at Seaham Hall
- Sunderland museums and arts centres lose out as donations head to London
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Sunderland
Sunday 19 May 2013
Temperature: 9 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 10 mph
Wind direction: North east
Temperature: 9 C to 17 C
Wind Speed: 14 mph
Wind direction: North