Man arrested after football-related violence

editorial image
0
Have your say

A WASHINGTON man has been arrested as part of an operation linked to football-related violence in Newcastle.

The 40-year-old was one of two people arrested on Friday on suspicion of affray. The previous day, police arrested three men.

All five have been bailed pending further inquiries. A man was previously arrested on March 3 and is also on bail pending further inquiries.

Police said the action came ahead of next month’s Tyne and Wear derby.

The six arrests are linked to disorder at Raffertys bar in Pink Lane, Newcastle, after the Chelsea match on February 2, which is believed to have involved Newcastle United supporters and fans from Scotland.

Chief Superintendent Gary Calvert, Newcastle Area Command, said: “This is yet another example of the pro-active enforcement action we are taking against those suspected of being involved in football-related disorder.

“Over recent months, we’ve been working hard to tackle the minority of people suspected of being involved in such behaviour to ensure the safety of those people attended the derby match next month, and this will continue.”