Jurors still out on man accused of murdering parents for £230,000 inheritance

STEPHEN SEDDON ... convicted of his parents' murder.
STEPHEN SEDDON ... convicted of his parents' murder.
0
Have your say

JURORS in the trial of a man accused of blasting his parents to death with a sawn-off shotgun to collect a £230,000 inheritance have retired for the day.

Stephen Seddon, 46, is alleged to have murdered Robert Seddon, 68, and Patricia, 65, in their suburban home because they survived after he drove a car into a Manchester canal with them strapped in the back seats in an earlier bid to kill them.

The 46-year-old father of three had an “insatiable thirst” for cash, the jury heard during a five-week trial at Manchester Crown Court.

Despite the elderly and caring couple gifting their son £40,000 and buying his home to keep a roof over his head, they “had to die” because Seddon stood to inherit everything in their wills, it is alleged.

He shot them both at close range - then planted the gun in his father’s lap to make it look like a murder-suicide at the family home in Sale, Greater Manchester, the court was told.

Seddon, from Benevente Street, Seaham, County Durham, denies two counts of murder on July 4 last year and two counts of attempted murder over the canal incident on March 20.

He told the jury he loved his parents and denied any involvement in their deaths.

The jury of seven men and five women first retired to consider its verdicts on Friday. Deliberations are set to continue tomorrow.