A DRUNKEN yob hurled coffee at a nurse who was trying to help him and told her “I hope you burn”.
Carl Farrell, of Tatham Street, Sunderland, had already hurled abuse at the nurse and demanded to be seen at South Tyneside District Hospital’s accident and emergency department in the early hours of December 2 last year.
The 28-year-old wanted a plaster cast refitted to one of his arms and said he was in pain.
When the nurse offered him pain killers and told him to wait his turn, he asked to make a complaint.
But before she could get Farrell the form, he threw the coffee over her neck and chest.
He was arrested and pleaded guilty to assault at South Tyneside Magistrates’ Court last week and was back in the dock yesterday where he was sentenced to 12 weeks in prison, suspended for 12 months with supervision by probation.
He was also ordered to pay £100 compensation to the nurse and an £80 victim surcharge.
Chairman of the bench Bill Marriott said: “This type of thing should not be taking place in a hospital. A nurse who was trying to deal with you personally should not have been subjected to such abuse.
“We know you are sorry but it’s not acceptable.”
Stan Sudworth, prosecuting, said: “Farrell said his cast needed to be reapplied and that he was in pain. It was busy and she asked him to wait but he began to shout and swear at her. She offered him pain relief but he refused and asked for a complaint form. As she was leading him to where the forms were she said he looked her in the eyes and said: ‘I hope you burn’ before throwing his cup of coffee.”
Mr Sudworth said the nurse’s neck had some light scald marks.
In a statement, she said: “In 12 years as a staff nurse I have had to put up with some aggressive behaviour, but nothing like this. I come to work to help sick and injured people, not to be abused.”
Joanne Gatens, defending, said Farrell was very remorseful but insisted the coffee was lukewarm.
- Boss Di Canio wants six new men for Sunderland
- Bus crashes into Sunderland JobCentre
- Pool pervert used shoe mirror to spy on woman changing in Sunderland Aquatic Centre
- Survival assured, Sunderland boss can plan future
- ‘You can’t live a lie and spend your life feeling sad’ – transgender modelling competition finalist tells all
- DOBSON MARKS START OF HEALTH C
- Di Canio: Sunderland players will get a shorter summer break if they don’t perform well at Tottenham
- Last post is 6.30pm (but get here by 5.30pm)
- TV chef Martin Blunos takes over the kitchen at Seaham Hall
- Sunderland museums and arts centres lose out as donations head to London
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Sunderland
Sunday 19 May 2013
Temperature: 9 C to 15 C
Wind Speed: 10 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 9 C to 17 C
Wind Speed: 13 mph
Wind direction: North