Grieving family’s anguish as teenage Sunderland ‘killer’ makes fresh appeal bid

John Johnson angry that Jordan Towers is appealing against his comnviction for the 4th time.
John Johnson angry that Jordan Towers is appealing against his comnviction for the 4th time.
0
Have your say

A GRIEVING dad is being forced to relive his heartache after a teenaage killer launched a fresh fight for freedom.

Jordan Towers was one of three people jailed for life for the murder of Kevin Johnson outside his Pennywell home in May 2007.

JORDAN TOWERS

JORDAN TOWERS

Towers, now 20, has always claimed he was innocent, saying that although he was present during the fatal stabbing he did not take part in it.

He blamed the other two youths, Tony Hawkes and Dean Curtis, who were with him at the time.

Towers was jailed for a minimum of 13 years after being convicted under the controversial joint enterprise law.

Now, despite top judges rejecting his original appeal bid and the Criminal Cases Review Commission (CCRC) refusing to refer the case back to the Court of Appeal, Towers is again fighting for his freedom.

The Echo understands the convicted killer’s bid to appeal against the CCRC’s decision will be heard next month at the Royal Courts of Justice in London, devastating the victim’s family.

Kevin’s dad John Johnson, 59, of Ryhope, today said: “This has annoyed us so much because it’s bringing everything back.

“We’re having to relive everything all over again and we’re not being allowed to just get on with our lives.

“It’s bringing back so much heartache.

“How long is this going to go on for and where does it stop?”

In 2008, the three killers attempted to have their sentence reduced at the Court of Appeal, with Towers appealing to have his conviction overturned.

But judges rejected their bid during a hearing at Leeds Crown Court.

In November last year, the CCRC – an independent body set up in 1997 to investigate alleged miscarriages of justice – threw out Towers’ bid for his case to be referred back to the Court of Appeal.

Now Towers is preparing to appeal against that decision in the hope he can again take his fight to the Court of Appeal.

Mr Johnson said: “He was given life and that is what he should serve.

“He should be in there for life and not a minute less.

“I know under joint enterprise people have been wrongly convicted, but you have the safety net of the appeal court.

“If there has been a miscarriage of justice they will find it. They haven’t, so he should stay where he is.

“If he was to get out I really don’t know what we would do.”

Towers, of Fell Road, Ford Estate, will appear before the Royal Courts of Justice in London on November 18.

He has been told before his case can be referred to the Court of Appeal fresh evidence must be presented.

He has also been told he is not eligible for any legal aid and must raise the £3,000 needed to pay for a barrister himself.

It is not known at this time what new evidence has arisen.