Goodbye to Sunderland stabbing victim George Dagg

Waiting for Video...

HUNDREDS of people turned out to pay their respects to stabbing victim George Dagg.

Around a dozen bikers joined Mr Dagg’s funeral procession as it left his home in Purley Road, Plains Farm, and made stops at the houses where his late parents and his brother lived as it travelled to Immaculate Heart of Mary RC Church in Springwell Road.

A huge crowd gathered for the service, with standing room only inside.

England flags bearing the words ‘Justice’, ‘Legend’ and ‘Top man’ were put on show alongside photographs of the father-of-two in the streets, with flower displays reading ‘Geordie’ and a pair of boxing gloves among those which filled the funeral car.

Father Michael McCoy told the congregation there were no words which could offer comfort following the tragic death of Mr Dagg, but said his family had wanted the funeral to be a celebration of his life.

Fr McCoy told of Mr Dagg’s passion for his job as a haulage driver, motor sport and engines, how he had trained as a boxer and his love of music.

Sharp Dressed Man by one of Mr Dagg’s favourite bands, ZZ Top, was played as he was carried from the church and then on to Bishopwearmouth Cemetery, where he was buried.

A collection was held at the church in aid of Sunderland Royal’s intensive critical care unit, with a refreshments serviced at the Lakeside Club.

Mr Dagg, 56, died on Wednesday, June 4, less than 48 hours after he was stabbed near his home.

He was dad to Marlon and Robert and a brother to Billy, Anne, Kevin, Scott and the late Ronnie.

Among the messages on the flowers was one from Scott which said: “You were my best friend and brother. Never will I forget you, forever in my heart.”

Another from Anne and brother-in-law Jim said: “You have been a great brother to me. The day you left me, my heart was broken.”

•Two brothers appeared at crown court yesterday, charged with Mr Dagg’s murder.

Jack Ryan, 21, and Jess Ryan, 24, both formerly of Toronto Road in Thorney Close, were at Newcastle Crown Court.

Judge James Goss QC remanded the pair, who appeared via videolink from HMP Durham, in custody until September 11 for a plea and directions hearing.




Back to the top of the page