Durham Miners' Gala organisers say 'safety is our priority' following Manchester terror attack

Durham Miners' Gala 2016.

Durham Miners' Gala 2016.

Organisers of the Durham Miners' Gala said today they are working with police ahead of this year's event following the Manchester bombing.

The group released the statement following a terrorist attack at Manchester Arena on Monday when 22 people were killed after a suicide bomber detonated a device.

Dozens more were left injured in the attack.

This year's Gala event takes place on Saturday, July 8, with Labour party leader Jeremy Corbyn set to attend.

A statement posted on the Durham Miners' Association Facebook page read: "In light of the recent horrific events in Manchester, as organisers of the Durham Miners' Gala 2017, the Durham Miners' Association would like to reassure everyone attending the Big Meeting that safety is our priority and we are currently liaising with the police to ensure safety and security at this year's Gala."

Meanwhile, Durham Cathedral said it continued to be vigilant over security and that “appropriate additional measures” had been put in place.

A spokesman said: “Above all, our thoughts and prayers are with all those affected by the tragic events in Manchester and with those affected by terrorism and conflict throughout the world.

“We continue to be vigilant about security arrangements and adhere to guidelines issued by the Police. Appropriate additional measures have been put in place in response to the current threat level, which has been raised to ‘critical’ following the attack in Manchester.”