POLICE are investigating after death threats were made against Sunderland star James McClean.
The winger, pictured, caused controversy when he was the only Sunderland player not to wear a poppy during his side’s 2-1 defeat at Everton last weekend.
Club bosses said the 23-year-old from Derry made a personal choice, but threats have been made on social networking sites such as Twitter.
A spokesman for Northumbria Police said: “Police are carrying out inquiries following a third-party report following threats made on social networking sites.
“Police have spoken to Sunderland Football Club and inquiries are ongoing.”
McClean was forced to come off the social networking site earlier this year because of sectarian abuse after he decided to play for the Republic rather than Northern Ireland.
- Boss Di Canio wants six new men for Sunderland
- Bus crashes into Sunderland JobCentre
- Pool pervert used shoe mirror to spy on woman changing in Sunderland Aquatic Centre
- Survival assured, Sunderland boss can plan future
- ‘You can’t live a lie and spend your life feeling sad’ – transgender modelling competition finalist tells all
- DOBSON MARKS START OF HEALTH C
- Di Canio: Sunderland players will get a shorter summer break if they don’t perform well at Tottenham
- Last post is 6.30pm (but get here by 5.30pm)
- TV chef Martin Blunos takes over the kitchen at Seaham Hall
- Sunderland museums and arts centres lose out as donations head to London
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Sunderland
Sunday 19 May 2013
Temperature: 9 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 10 mph
Wind direction: North east
Temperature: 9 C to 17 C
Wind Speed: 14 mph
Wind direction: North