ARSONISTS targeted a council building and caused damage to a chimney.
Fire crews were called to the Children’s Services offices in Station Road, Penshaw, on Thursday night after reports of a fire.
The blaze damaged a wooden chimney on the building, but firefighters managed to stop it from spreading.
No one was injured during the blaze, which took place between 8.05pm and 8.15pm.
Police are investigating the fire.
Anyone with information is asked to contact police on 03456 043 043, extension 69191.