A MAN was left trapped in his home after a suspected arson attack on a flat.
Firefighters were called to Hylton Road at 11.20am on Wednesday after two fires were started in the bedrooms of the first-floor property.
The tenant, who was in his 30’s, was in the living room at the time and had to be rescued through the window at the back of the building.
Two dogs and a cat were also rescued.
Shocked shop owners from businesses on the ground floor were also forced to leave their properties due to concerns the fire could spread.
A spokeswoman for Northumbria Police added: “Inquiries are ongoing to establish the cause of the fire.
Full story in Thursday’s Echo.